Abortion After Care
Care Pregnancy Clinic offers After Abortion Care to women who have recently experienced abortion and are in need of medical or emotional support. Our free, confidential after-care includes:
- Health Assessment
- Ultrasound to Confirm Complete Abortion
- STD Testing
- Self-Care Recovery and Symptom Management
- Referrals to Community Agencies for Ongoing Support
If you recently completed an abortion or are in the abortion process and have any concerns, please call or text to schedule an appointment.
Many women have concerns regarding their physical and emotional health following an abortion. It is important to understand what symptoms to expect and how to take care of yourself to help alleviate the physical and emotional impacts of an abortion.
- Drink water and healthy fluids.
- Eat healthy food.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and lifting heavy objects for at least one week.
- Take any antibiotics you were given for the full number of days prescribed.
- Avoid vaginal insertions for at least two weeks, including sex and tampons.
Call your doctor if you are concerned about any symptoms you are having.
Post Abortive Complications: Warning Signs
Call your doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms after an abortion:
- Heavy bleeding or passing large clots (larger than golf ball size).
- Bleeding that lasts more than 14 days.
- Fever over 100 degrees.
- Abdominal pain that is worse than a normal period.
- Signs of infection such as achiness and general feeling of illness.
- Vomiting that lasts more than 4 hours.
- Sudden abdominal swelling or rapid heart rate.
- Vaginal discharge that has increased in amount or smells bad.
- Pain, redness or swelling in the genital area.
Most women experience some of the following after an abortion:
- Bleeding – on average bleeding lasts 14 days, but can last as long as 21 days. 1
These symptoms typically resolve within a week, sometimes longer. If symptoms persist or become severe, don’t hesitate to contact your doctor.
For information about additional long-term health impacts of abortion, see Abortion Risks and Side Effects.
- Suicidal thoughts
Medically Reviewed By:
Tessa Renaud, LPN
Staff Nurse Practitioner, Baton Rouge
1 Davis, A., Westhoff, C., De Nonno, L., (2000). Bleeding patterns after early abortion with mifepristone and misoprostol or manual vacuum aspiration. J Am Med Womens Assoc; 55(3 Suppl):141-144
2 Fergusson, D.M., Horwood, L.J., Ridder, E., (2006). Abortion in young women and subsequent mental health. J Child Psychol Psyc; 47(1):16-24.
3 Coyle, C.T., Coleman, P.K., Rue, V.M., (2010). Inadequate preabortion counseling and decision conflict as predictors of subsequent relationship difficulties and psychological stress in men and women. Traumatology; 16(1):16-30.