What Is Abortion?
abortion /abor·tion/ (ah-bor’ shun)
At its root, to abort simply means “to stop,” but the word abortion has come to be commonly associated with induced abortion.
Also known as ‘pregnancy termination’, it refers to the separation of a fetus from its mother, either naturally or through medical or surgical intervention. When it happens naturally, it’s called a spontaneous abortion, also known as miscarriage. When it happens artificially, it’s called induced abortion.
Medically, the term ‘abortion’ is used as a synonym referring to ‘induced abortion’ and occurs for one of two reasons:
- Therapeutic Abortion refers to the separation of the child from the mother for the purpose of saving one or both of their lives.
- Elective Abortion refers to the separation of the child from the mother for the purpose of ending the life of the child.
How Much Does an Abortion Cost?
Typical Abortion Costs in Louisiana
- Medication Abortion / Abortion Pill with insurance (within 10 weeks gestation) : $350-$650
- Medical Abortion / Abortion Pill without insurance: up to $10002
- Abortion Pill online: not available legally3 in the US
- Abortion Pill at CVS: not available by prescription
Cost of Surgical Abortion
- Suction Aspiration / Vacuum Abortion (6-12 weeks gestation): $600-$1000
- Dilation and Curettage (13-16 weeks gestation): not legal in Louisiana
- Dilation and Evacuation (17-21 weeks gestation): $1500-$2100
Find out what your costs could be.
To find out how far along you are and what the cost of an abortion could be for you, schedule a free pre-termination evaluation with Care Pregnancy Clinic today.
Medically Reviewed By:
Tessa Renaud, LPN
Staff Nurse Practitioner, Baton Rouge
1 Jones, R., Ingerick, M., Jerman, J. (2018). Differences in Abortion Service Delivery in Hostile, Middle-ground, and Supportive States in 2014. Women’s Health Iss; 28(3): 212–218.
2 Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. How do I get the abortion pill? Retrieved June 2019 from PlannedParenthood.org.